Terry Pulliam Burd

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 04:15:54 GMT, notbob > arranged
random neurons, so they looked like this:

>I tried AB's trick of salting raw cabbage slaw to leach the moisture
>out so it wouldn't get soggy, then washing and draining . It didn't work
>out too well. Sure, the moisture was drawn out, but I could never get the
>salt off, no matter how many times I wash and dried. Maybe I left the salt
>on too long. Anyone remember the recommended time? Also, while the slaw
>did as predicted, more of less, and no more liquid leached out to water
>down the dressing, the slaw itself was less than appetizing. Besides the
>residual salt taste, the cabbage was kinda leathery. Still crunchy, mind
>you, but a diminished crunchy.
>
>I don't think I'll be trying this again.

Methinks sometimes the best way is the old fashioned way: after
shredding the cabbage, fill a large bowl with water and ice cubes and
soak the cabbage in it for 20 mins. or so. Then get out the paper
towels. Press as much of the liquid out as you can, then change paper
towels and do it again.

Same thing for potato latkes (without the soak in ice water). Just
have to get as much liquid out of the potatoes as your muscles will
allow.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret
had been as old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had
been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very
good dinner." Duncan Hines

To reply, remove replace "spaminator" with "cox"