Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default An easy quick meals For Dinner Tonight - Taco Salad

On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 07:21:42 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

> On Sunday, February 22, 2015 at 2:24:37 AM UTC-5, sf wrote:
>
> > I saw a quick & easy idea today on Pinterest that looked interesting -
> > enchilada sloppy joes. Of course, you have to like both and be fairly
> > open minded... otherwise, forget it.
> > http://www.tasteandtellblog.com/ench...py-joe-recipe/

> When I was a lass and Mexican food came to the Detroit suburbs
> in the form of (you guessed it) Taco Bell, they had a "Bellburger",
> which was some of their ground meat stuff on a hamburgur bun, with
> shredded lettus and whatnot. It made a good introduction to TexMex-ish
> food for a somewhat picky and timid eater (my younger self).
>
> The concept is still attractive, although not at (shudder) Taco Bell
> More authentic Mexican food has come to southeast Michigan, and I'm
> more likely to order carnitas or al pastor. Still, a homemade
> version redolent of cumin might be tasty on a bun. Then again, when
> we make sloppy joes, we add enough cayenne and tabasco to make them
> somewhat "sparky", anyhow.

Here are a couple of other ideas, one I've made and love: enchilada
zucchini boats (self-explanatory) and I'm going to try the other this
week: eggplant pizza (also self-explanatory).

I picked up a tub of Berber seasoning last week and googled for
chicken recipes... ended up making a version of Doro Wat (from Daring
Gourmet) last night that was absolutely fabulous. Didn't have any
white wine, so I used more chicken stock (figuring Berber nomads
probably don't cook with wine anyway) and didn't bother with butter
because it didn't need any, but I did use fresh garlic and ginger...
and a bit of honey.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room