PENMART01

>virtualgoth writes:
>
>notbob wrote:
>
>> I tried AB's trick of salting raw cabbage slaw to leach the moisture
>> out so it wouldn't get soggy, then washing and draining . It didn't work
>> out too well. Sure, the moisture was drawn out, but I could never get the
>> salt off, no matter how many times I wash and dried. Maybe I left the
>> salt on too long. Anyone remember the recommended time?

>Here's the recipe, but I've never tried it. Did you use kosher salt?
>

>Alton Brown's Cole Slaw
>
>Generously salt the cabbage and drain in colander for 3 hours. Rinse
>thoroughly and dry.

There is nothing new about this... I've been salting cabbage to remove moisture
for slaw for many years, well over 50 years, in fact I posted the method here
long before Alton Brown ever heard of it... good chance he read my post.

One recommendation is not to use an aluminum colander, stainless steel is okay
but plastic is much better.... many years ago (my grandmother's day) wooden
barrels were used. Cole slaw was made from the same batch of cabbage used for
kraut.... just that the slaw cabbage was scooped off the top after only a
couple hours salting.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon