Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Delicious Mom's Boiled Custard

"cshenk" > wrote in message
news
> Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> > Career? It was the best she ever attained, and it didn't last very
>> > long.

>> 17 years isn't very long?

> It is. If you also got whatever they have towards stocks, 401K etc
> savings, you will have something more to show for it because of the
> longevity.

I did well for myself way back on the stocks. I didn't *think* that what I
had was a 401K. I even asked about it when I retired. I was told that I
didn't have to roll the money over so I spent it on furniture and appliances
when we moved to Cape Cod. But when I filed my taxes, I learned that it
was! I was penalized, and ****ed. I called the people in charge and they
told me that they had changed the plan at some point. Apparently not only
was I not notified but nobody else in my store. I was the only person to
have put any money into that plan from my store because it was not a
guaranteed safe plan. I could have lost or gained money but if I gained, I
would have gained more than with the other plans. I only put a very small
percent in there each week for a few years, figuring that the amount was so
small that it wouldn't matter if I lost. Turned out that I lost by not
rolling it over which I would have done had I known.

I still have a pension coming to me. Technically I could get it now but I
will wait until I am older because I will get more. It won't be a lot but
to me, something is still better than nothing. I retired about a month
before they did away with the pension plan as it had been. So I was lucky.

My husband is already getting military retirement and is back working for
the military as a civilian. So if he puts in 5 or more years with that,
which he very likely will, he will get a pension from that as well.

People can poke fun if they want. I did try to get other jobs but at that
point in time, nobody could give me the benefits that I had. When I
retired, I had 5 weeks off per year of paid vacation, I think it was 6 days
of sick leave...maybe 7, and one personal day off per year. I had good
medical and dental insurance and life insurance that I didn't have to pay
for. And I had been there for so long that it was highly unlikely I'd be
fired or laid off. They were laying off some of the management but I wasn't
high enough up the ladder for that to have happened. My retirement was
forced in that I got married and moved to another state. In past years they
would have made an effort to find me a suitable job on Cape Cod. But they
stopped doing that.

> None of us are lawyers and I suspect most just make ends meet.
> According to most of what I see on the internet, it's really the job
> swappers who lose out in the long run. Swapping up if you have the
> skills can be good, but steady work that matches your skills wins in
> the long run.

And lawyers don't necessarily make a lot of money. The ones I know do not.
In one instance, they are both blind. A married couple. So they pay people
to do some work for them that they wouldn't need to have to pay for if they
were sighted. The other guy doesn't want to handle divorces or go to trial
so he basically works for as a legal assistant for other lawyers.