Posted to rec.food.cooking
JRStern JRStern is offline

Default Silly Question -- How do YOU eat sardines?

On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 17:32:19 -0600, Dave W >
wrote:

>In article >,
> JRStern > wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 21:11:50 -0700, Janet B >
>> wrote:
>>

>> >The subject line says it all. Do you make a sandwich? Use crackers?
>> >What kind do you prefer -- tomato sauce, mustard, olive oil?
>> >Enquiring minds want to know.
>> >Janet US

>> Well I don't anymore, I'm prone to gout and there's nothing worse.
>>
>> But back in the day I'd eat them on a good grade of bread along side -
>> or in - a salad. And tried all the varieties, that's part of the fun.
>> TJ's is advertising one now that sounds so good ... grrrr.
>>
>> J.

>I used to eat sardines all the time, usually right out of the can,
>sometimes on saltines, sometimes on bread. A friend once sold me a dozen
>or three that he'd picked up in NYC. These were spicy and extremely
>tasty. I'd saute' them and eat them with pasta.
>
>Then I had my first gout attack. Don't know if was the sardines, but my
>doc gave me a list things to avoid. Gout is awful and I've been
>unwilling to risk it since. (Sigh)

Fresh fish, or herring/sardines even not fresh, are just about the
worst things. I thought fresh trout would be OK - but nooooooo.
Strangely enough canned salmon is not that bad. Beer is also very
bad, I guess because yeast ounce for ounce is horrible.

You can Google the lists and numbers.

I can deal with almost anything else in moderation. And yet, they say
that like with cholesterol it's not even so much what you eat, as your
body produces and manages it (purines, uric acid) at least 2/3 by
itself. But my attacks have generally been associated with some evil
thing I ate because I didn't know it was on the list.

It ain't no fun at all once you get it. Character building, I
suppose.

J.

>Dave W.
>In the Ozarks

FoodBanter.com Database Error
Database Error Database error
The FoodBanter.com database has encountered a problem.

Please try the following:
  • Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
  • Open the www.foodbanter.com home page, then try to open another page.
  • Click the Back button to try another link.
The www.foodbanter.com forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.