Vicki L. Simon

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 21:19:51 -0400, "Bob (this one)" >
wrote:

>And cover the mouth of the jar with a couple layers of cheesecloth to
>keep out critters but let air in. Rubber band around the lip.
>
>You can also often buy vinegar mother in brew stores.

True, true!

My mother stays on top, with gentle handling. Red wine and
malt (beer) vinegar have given me the best results. Cider is
a little more difficult, because when fermenting apple juice,
a pectinase enzyme must be used to get the pectin out, or
you get a cloudy mess in the vinegar jar. Sun-tea jars are a
useful "make-do" for those who wish to experiment at least
cost. Vinegar can be drawn off the bottom (!) while the mother
stays on top. The resultant liquor can be pasteurized in your
canner, but I think it loses a certain something. The raw vinegar
with a tiny bit of mother (almost clear) has gfreater flavor and
has never disturbed my digestion.

Another nice thing about the cheesecloth cover is that you can
smell the progress of the mother as she makes your vinegar.

A-