Posted to rec.food.cooking
whirled peas whirled peas is offline

Default Nachos

On 02/01/2015 07:19 AM, Doris Night wrote:

> I thought nachos were the chips. And any time I've eaten them, they
> came with salsa and sour cream and nothing else.
>
> Doris

OK, I'm seeing a pattern here. At least three people in this thread have
referred to plain tortilla chips as "nachos." Apparently, in some parts
of this country it is an acceptable and common use. To me, it is like
calling an avocado a "guacamole." Again, to me, nachos are a simple
snack made with tortilla chips, real cheese and sliced pickled jalapeno
peppers, just like guacamole is a simple dip made with avocados, diced
tomatoes, cumin and minced onion. It's an ingredient, not the dish itself.

It's minor differences like this that make life so interesting.