Posted to rec.food.cooking
Travis McGee Travis McGee is offline

Default Nachos

On 1/31/2015 10:38 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> Yes, I am starting a new post because I am getting fed up at cshenk
> implying that I am clueless. The first time I ever had them was back in
> the last 1960's and they were pretty much just like the originals shown
> here.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nachos
>
> Since that time I have had them with all manner of toppings, including
> (blech!) shredded iceberg lettuce on Cape Cod.
>
> There is also the kind that you can get at movie theaters, snack bars
> and various concession stands that have a cheese sauce which may be put
> on the side or over the top of the chips and they may or may not include
> hot peppers.
>
> But my question is... How do you make them at home? Assuming that you
> do. Because I *always* make them like the link that I put up here.
> Chips and shredded cheese for sure. Baked in the oven is best but if
> I'm in a hurry I will nuke them. My parents always got them with
> nothing but cheese on them but I happen to like additional things like
> hot peppers, onions, tomatoes, olives, even beans.
>
> And back when I ate cheese or corn for that matter, I wouldn't turn down
> the snack bar type with the cheese sauce. That is not the sort of thing
> I would ever make at home or serve to a guest but it was nice to eat a
> few bites of it now and then if I was out and hungry.
>
> So... cshenk claims that nachos are a dip. Who here makes theirs as a
> dip? And who here makes the baked with shredded cheese? Thanks!

I like them baked, with shredded cheese and other toppings. Sometimes I
will make up a pot of chili with beans and use that as a topping. Other
times I will make a "Mexican pot roast" and shred that as a topping.
Finish with sliced pickled jalapenos, sliced black olives, raw green
onions, and sour cream.