Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default This is how you should wake up!

On Mon, 12 Jan 2015 07:02:17 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> wrote:

> On Monday, January 12, 2015 at 9:23:21 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote:
> > >
> > > My mother was only (heh) 82 when she died. After years of being on
> > > low-fat, low-sodium diets (cholesterol and blood pressure problems) she
> > > pretty much told her doctors she'd eat whatever the heck she wanted to.

> > Darnit, I always forget my mom's age. She's either 82 or 83 and my dad
> > is now 86.
> >
> > Their doctor has put them both on minimum rations the past few years.
> > What they eat really upsets me and I know they are not happy about it
> > either. I've told my mom many times...you both are getting older, at
> > least enjoy your meals. It does no good to suffer in your last years
> > just to live a bit longer (in misery).
> >
> > I've always believed in quality of life vs quantity of life. I want
> > my last years to be good ones and not crappy ones just to live on a
> > few more months or years.
> >
> > Anyway, their doctor prescribed diet is pathetic. I want them to live
> > forever, but not that way. They don't do anything but stay home, watch
> > tv and eat. At least let their last meals be tasty ones and filling.
> > I want their final years to be happy ones, not longer extended bad
> > ones.

> You're right - another year on the stone won't matter a bit.

My husband's oldest sister is in her mid-80's and her husband is a
year or two older. I know she doesn't want to cook anymore and they
eat very little anyway. So when SIL does cook, she portions it out
into little microwavable containers and reheats them for meals. I
don't know how near or far Gary is from his parents, but maybe he
could turn some of his weekend cooking into freezer meals for them.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room