H. W. Hans Kuntze

Default Biscotti problem

Anny Middon wrote:

>Before Christmas I made a biscotti recipe from the booklet that came wit=

h my
>new Cuisinart food processor. The resulting cookies (these were the
>twice-baked "dunker" style of biscotti) had great flavor and texture, bu=

>when I sliced the baked log it fell apart somewhat, leaving me with quit=

e a
>few broken cookies. I baked them anyway, but it was a bit disappointing=

=2E

>A couple of weeks ago, I made two other biscotti recipes, again using my=

>food processor to mix the dough. Again I had problems with them crumbli=

ng
>when I cut the logs of baked dough.
> =20

Hi Anny.

Biscotti have a tendency to be somewhat fragile after the first bake=20
into logs.
Especially with nuts in large pieces.
But they are brittle by nature. Sharp knife and someone who is not timid =

are essential.
The crumbles make a good bottom for cheesecake crust.

Don't worry about underbaking them slightly, because after slicing=20
(sharp, finely serrated bagutte knife) them into oblong tranches and=20
baking them once again, they will be fully ready baked.

You could add some liquid (little) to your dough, that will make it=20
somewhat easier to slice, but overbaking is usually the problem.

--=20
Grue$$e.

C=3D=A6-)=A7 H. W. Hans Kuntze, CMC, S.g.K. (_o_)
" Strive for excellence in your life & reject being a doormat to others. =
Serve God. "
http://www.cmcchef.com , chef[AT]cmcchef.com