Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Merry Christmas

On 12/23/2014 10:54 AM, songbird wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>> Wow! That's a beautiful flower, doubt it would grow here in our heat
>> zone 8b. Didn't show the picture to Miz Anne or she would be trying to
>> order seeds from Cattlegap, Egypt or some other strange place.

> they are very pretty as they come out so early.
> good to zone 9 according to the catalog. if i get
> more seeds next year i'll send you some along with
> a few bulbs if i remember. i was very surprised
> to find seeds in these this year as they do bloom
> so early. it is called lady beatrix stanley orchid
> iris. they flower first before much of the leaves
> come up. they aren't very big plants and look
> great in a rock garden. not sure how they would
> do with the heat either.
>

>> The purchased smoked turkey is slowly thawing in the fridge and will be
>> heated up on Friday the 26th for our family chow down time. With two
>> kids and spousal units, five grands, and six great grands we will need
>> all the food we can gather, kill, steal, or buy. The two young teens can
>> eat a whole turkey and the little ones can eat a whole ham, not counting
>> extras and sweets.

> hehe, i recall those years too when i could eat
> four heaping plates and still find room for sweets,
> pies, cakes, cookies, ...
>

> songbird

Miz Anne and Tilly Dawg went out for a little walk this morning. They
walk around the retention pond and on this trip she scattered wild
flower seeds here and there plus some Louisiana iris seed. Hoping to see
something beside the other weeds come spring. Will probably spread some
more next week and later. The retention pond has a few turtles, some
frogs, and a family of nutria living there. I call it our emergency
pantry myself. Some critters and a few roots from the cat tails and you
have a meal.

George