Posted to rec.food.preserving
songbird songbird is offline

Default PBDCs!

zxcvbob wrote:
> I grew beets in my garden a few (20) years ago; I thought maybe I just
> didn't like them because I hadn't tried *good* fresh beets.
>
> Nope, that wasn't it.

haha!

> I did figure out you're supposed to eat the leaves, not the roots. Beet
> tops are wonderful greens. Beet roots are good for throwing at cars and
> scaring small children. ;-)

i've liked them my whole life, as a kid i was
one of those who liked my veggies, liver and
such. i don't cook the greens here (Ma gets sick
at the smell), but the roots are fine. i'd eat the
greens and grow chard too if i could actually use
them. i think i barely squeaked by on the fennel
this past year. she didn't object to the smell of
that cooking.

i ran out and picked a bunch of turnips to cook
up the other day when we had a break in the weather
and now i can eat them for the next week. i've
tried turnip greens, but i'm not sure they appeal
to me, i'll try them again sometime i'm sure. i'm
trying to set up a turnip patch which regenerates
itself so i don't have to keep reseeding them. it
is in an area that has alfalfa and trefoil growing
and so they get rather huge in there. the soil
is heavy clay and has been left alone for a few
years other than the chopping and dropping of the
alfalfa and trefoil. i'm liking how that area is
coming along. i'm also starting to get strawberries
established in there so they can wind around and
use up some of those nutrients.

rutabagas grow very well here too, but they are
not as good as the purple globe topped turnips so
i'll be turning them under for worm food when i
get a chance.

whew! i'm in a rambly mood today!

songbird