Posted to rec.food.cooking
Janet Bostwick Janet Bostwick is offline

Default Whole Wheat Bread Flour

On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 23:08:13 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>My CSA had this on sale so I bought a small bag but now I can't find a
>single recipe that calls for it! All of the recipes that take bread flour
>use regular bread flour and then if they are a whole wheat bread, additional
>whole wheat flour. Does anyone have any recipes that use this? I would
>even be willing to make something with eggs and milk in it for my husband
>and daughter if it would use up the flour. I could use the cupboard space!
>Thanks!

Very common. There are not that many recipes for whole wheat bread
that are made solely with whole wheat bread flour. A recipe for
whole wheat bread that uses only whole wheat bread flour tends to be
very dense and sticky/tricky to knead.. Recipes will call for a
combination of whole wheat bread flour and white bread flour to
overcome the problems. Also, most people do not care for the taste of
bread made only with whole wheat flour. You can find recipes for
oatmeal, rye bread and others that also use whole wheat flour in
combination.
When talking about baking bread, it is understood that you mean whole
wheat bread flour.
It would not be a good idea to try to make cookies or similar with
whole wheat bread flour as it will make them tough. It is understood
that when making something other than bread, you are going to use
whole wheat PASTRY flour. Check Winco bulk bins and you will see both
are available there. I believe that the supplier for the bulk bins is
Bob's Red Mill.
Janet US