Posted to rec.food.cooking
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Keeping cucumbers

Ross wrote:

>According to the UC Davis Department of Post Harvest Technology, cukes
>should be stored at room temperature not in the fridge. If you do feel
>the need to put them in the fridge, they can tolerate up to 3 days of
>cold storage if they are used as soon as they are removed from the
>refrigerator.
>Cucumbers are susceptible to cold injury if held more than 3 days at
>temperatures lower than 50F/10C. Signs of cold injury are wateriness,
>pitting on the outside and accelerated decay.
>Another factoid: Cucumbers are sensitive to ethylene gas, which is put
>off by some ripening fruits and vegetables. So for longest storage,
>don’t keep your cukes near apples, melons, tomatoes or bananas.

I grow hundreds of pounds of cucumbers every year. Cucumbers don't
have a long shelf life regardless, that's why most at market are
waxed, but those can't be pickled, and should be peeled for salads.
Most people keep their vegetable bin much too cold, some keep it darn
close to freezing and often it does freeze so vegetables are ruined. I
have a second fridge in my basement primarilly for my garden crop
storage. I keep that fridge at 45º-50ºF, which I found is ideal for
most vegetable storage. My cukes don't get waxed, I either eat or
pickle them within 24 hours of harvest or I give them away. The
following chart is for home garden crops... people have no idea about
when vegetables at market were harvested, typically they are near the
end of their shelf life. Cucumbers are best harvested under five
inches and eaten or pickled the day of harvest... I immediately wash
and rub off the spines and I refrigerate mine because I prefer eating
them chilled. I've found that if vegetables are left out on the
counter the house quickly fills with fruit flies. I don't buy
stupidmarket cukes waxed/out of season, they are awful.
http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/...en-vegetables/