Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ross@home Ross@home is offline

Default Keeping cucumbers

On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 21:02:17 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 15:03:55 -0700, koko wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 13:51:24 -0400, James Silverton
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>I have been told not to keep cucumbers in the fridge. Well, I tried it
>>>by keeping a cucumber in the fruit bowl on the counter top. This
>>>afternoon after a couple of days, I discovered a healthy crop of white
>>>mold on the unused cucumber. I am going to use the fridge!!!

>> I've always followed the general rule, that how you buy it from the
>> store, is how you keep it at home. Of course, there are always
>> exceptions to the rule.

>Stores with quick turnover don't refrigerate much of the produce that
>can or should be refrigerated when you get them home (if you want them
>to last for more than a few days).
>
>Peppers, squash, cucumbers, ginger are all things I can think of that
>aren't refrigerated at the store, but can and should be once you get
>them home.
>
>-sw

According to the UC Davis Department of Post Harvest Technology, cukes
should be stored at room temperature not in the fridge. If you do feel
the need to put them in the fridge, they can tolerate up to 3 days of
cold storage if they are used as soon as they are removed from the
refrigerator.
Cucumbers are susceptible to cold injury if held more than 3 days at
temperatures lower than 50F/10C. Signs of cold injury are wateriness,
pitting on the outside and accelerated decay.
Another factoid: Cucumbers are sensitive to ethylene gas, which is put
off by some ripening fruits and vegetables. So for longest storage,
don’t keep your cukes near apples, melons, tomatoes or bananas.

Ever since reading that article we've kept our cucumbers on the
counter and they've lasted much longer than if stored in the veggie
drawer of the fridge.
Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada