Posted to rec.food.cooking
Oregonian Haruspex Oregonian Haruspex is offline

Default Keeping cucumbers

On 2014-10-27 17:51:24 +0000, James Silverton said:

> I have been told not to keep cucumbers in the fridge. Well, I tried it
> by keeping a cucumber in the fruit bowl on the counter top. This
> afternoon after a couple of days, I discovered a healthy crop of white
> mold on the unused cucumber. I am going to use the fridge!!!

There is an art and science devoted to keeping cucumbers. Pickling!

I have also noticed that they turn bad quite quickly, be it in the
fridge or on the counter. Now I just lacto-ferment them in a brine
with the proper bacterial culture.