Rodney Myrvaagnes

Default Making Wine Vinegar question

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 22:07:03 -0700, "Louis Cohen"
> wrote:

>We got a nice stoneware crock with a tap at the bottom at Sur la Table. We
>started it with a mother from a freind of ours, and we add the dregs of wine
>bottles and glasses; sometimes we buy not so great wine for cooking and the
>crock.
>
>We try to add some wine every week, but we don't measure anything or even
>see the mother.
>
>It makes wonderful vinegar. Just toss in plenty of wine, and make lots of
>salad dressing and marinades.
>
>--

Sounds good. I may try that.

But, the best wine vinegar I can remember came in 1964 when there was
a fire in the apartment building we lived in. We had a bottle of
Chateau Latour 1958 (a minor year, $4.85) that was heated but not
broken in the fire.

We opened it, determined not to drink it, and left it to go to vinegar
from the air. I am very glad we didn't mix anything else with it.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Wanting to meet a writer because you like his work is like wanting to meet a duck because you like pate."
Margaret Atwood