Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] lenona321@yahoo.com is offline

Default Soaking beans? In most cases, you don't need to

On Sunday, October 19, 2014 8:25:21 PM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:

> I have also learned that I can quick soak extra and put in the freezer.
>
> This works much better for me than trying to freeze cooked beans or soup.
>
> Takes up far less room than soup and they can easily be thawed in water as
>
> it comes to a boil. They cook just like dry beans but you have shaved an
>
> hour off because you don't have to soak them again.

And it's just like keeping other frozen vegetables available.

I heard that after you soak them, it's good to rinse them AFTER draining
them - it washes away some of the sugars or something. Also, freezing
them after that makes them swell, thus breaking the fibers, which cuts
down on the boiling time. Not sure which step reduces the gassiness.

Lenona.