Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Spice mixes

On Tue, 14 Oct 2014 20:47:15 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

> What are your favorite spice mixes? It's that time of year again and I'm
> going to make up jars of spice mixes to go with Christmas gifts this
> year. I know I can't get some of the herbs locally fresh, but I can get
> the imported ones and dry them myself, such as some that go into Italian
> Seasoning. I just dried some parsley and basil because they were
> getting to the point to use them or lose them. I made some Italian
> seasoning with some dried herbs added.
>
> I plan to buy anything I'm going to use for gifts fresh if they're
> already dried, and anything I can dry myself I will. I also just found
> some cute spice jars on Amazon along with some "chalkboard" labels with
> a chalk pen, so the bottles can be relabeled if the giftee wants to do so.

This is not mine, unfortunately I didn't note where I found it. If it
came from RFC, my apologies, because it's an excellent mixture. Most
of the ingredients are what you'd normally expect to find in a rub,
but the ground coriander makes it special.

Basic BBQ Rub

2T cup salt (non-iodized)
3 Tbs Brown Sugar
2 Tbs Black Pepper (coarse)
1 Tbs. Garlic (granulated)
1 Tbs. Paprika (smoked paprika optional)
1 Tbs. Coriander Powder
1 Tsp. Onion Powder
1 Tsp. ground Cumin
1 Tsp. Cayenne