Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Good-Bye

On 2014-10-18 4:00 PM, Pico Rico wrote:

>> What can go wrong with a debit card??? I can view my statement online
>> anytime and see daily debits.

> fraud protection is not nearly as good as with credit cards. And, with a
> credit card, YOU have the money while errors/fraud is sorted out.

I have had mixed experiences with that. I rarely use my credit cards for
store purchases. A couple years ago I went Christmas Shopping and put a
bunch of stuff on the card. The CC company called my house and said
there had been a bunch of purchases made of a short period of time and
asked if it was us using the card.

There was only one time that I discovered a fraudulent use of my card.
We had been out for an expensive lunch and put on on MasterCard. When
the MC bill came at the end of the month there were two charges, the one
we had and one a few days later for a slightly different amount. I
called immediately. MC called the restaurant and got a story about how
they were new and thought the charger had not gone through so they did
it again.... for a slightly different amount ??? They were going to
issue a credit. They didn't. There had been no adjustment the next
month, so I called again. I was told MC was going to ask for hard
copies, and if they did not send them within 45<?> days I would not be
liable for the charges... either one. When I called back they were
still waiting.

Finally, some time in Feb., 5 months after the fraud, I was in the area
working and went into the restaurant. It may have helped that I was in
uniform. They cut me a cheque. I cashed it immediately. By coincidence,
the woman from MC called that night and asked if there had been any
resolution to the problem. I told her that earlier that day the
restaurant had written me a cheque. She expressed relief and said that
after all this time there was not much they would be able to do.

????? After all this time?? I contacted them immediately. They talked to
the owner and the problem was acknowledged. They later said if they
didn't get the the hard copies I was not liable for the charges. They
never got them. So, pardon me if I don't have a lot of faith with CC
companies and fraud.