Posted to rec.food.cooking
Janet Bostwick Janet Bostwick is offline

Default I just don't get brisket

On Sun, 12 Oct 2014 20:31:27 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

snip

>I just remembered something significant: Hickory is the only smoke for beef.
>I have had oak smoked barbeque, and the end product is a hearty meh.

I agree with you about the hickory. The best one I ever made, IMO,
was a recipe/method from Cooks magazine. You smoked the meat for 2
hours and then took it inside, wrapped it tight in a couple of layers
of foil, and finished cooking it in a pan in the oven. That piece of
meat had the most personality of any of the brisket I've had,
including the one prepared by professionals in Dallas. I can see why
it is a piece of meat for contestants since it must take a special
hand to bring out the quality.
Janet US