Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default PING George Shirley

On 10/2/2014 10:24 AM, Dave Balderstone wrote:
> In article >, George Shirley
> > wrote:
>
>> On 9/26/2014 3:56 PM, Dave Balderstone wrote:
>>> In article >, George Shirley

>>> Naw. We'll go deer hunting.
>>>
>>> ;-D
>>>

>> I'm going in November, here in Texas, haven't hunted deer in over 25
>> years. Grandson has a free lease with lots of deer. Texas is allowing
>> two bucks and three does this year or just take five does. Can't eat
>> antlers so I'm looking for does.
>>
>> I can remember when Texas allowed only bucks, no does, and any of them
>> were hard to find in East and SE Texas. I see deer alongside the roads
>> around here in broad daylight, carcasses also. Lots of buzzards floating
>> around all the time, you can nearly always tell where a deer was hit by
>> a vehicle by the circling buzzards. I nearly ran over a coyote the other
>> day on the street I live on.
>>
>> You would think that with over 5 million people living in this area
>> there would be nothing wild left. We deer tracks behind our house nearly
>> every morning. Alas, no stands here.
>>
>> George

> Deer populations are down here after a couple of hard winters.
> Whitetails got hit the hardest, there are still a good number of mule
> deer. But limits here are one, even for mulies this year.
>
> I've got an archery tag for mulie, and regular season tags for
> whitetail, elk and moose.
>
> Hopefully I'll be making a lot of jerky and sausages this year (OB
> preserving reference). I won't stock up on vacuum bags till I get an
> animal, though.

I generally try to get a feral hog at the same time. Venison and pork
link sausage is one of our favorites. Since there seems to be hundreds
of thousands of hogs running around our countryside maybe I will get the
chance.

I stock up on vacuum bags quite often. Today I emptied the clean, used
vac bags bucket and turned them back right side out and used a few of
them to vac seal some nice Angus ribeyes I found in the "used meat" bin
at the supermarket. Some call it the "Manager's Special" and it's where
the meat is coming off the "sell by" date. I've got a freezer completely
full of that sort of thing, running from chicken to beef and pork
roasts. I encourage other shoppers to think it's "icky" meat just so I
can hog it myself. I do that sort of shopping for my eldest, grown-up
grandkids because they have to work and I don't. <G>