Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Best of both worlds.

"Ian Field" > wrote in message
> Are there any recipes about for food that's cheaper than ready meals, but
> can still be done in the microwave?
>
> Probably not practical to boil the froth out of red beans in a microwave,
> but that general direction of food preparation.
>
> The BBC website has a recipe section - but last time I looked there, no
> diabetic recipes.
>
> Maybe if enough people asked, they'd do something about it.

There are really no such things as diabetic recipes. You can make all sorts
of things in the microwave but whether you would like the results or not are
another matter.

Beans require long cooking so I doubt that you could do them in there. You
could buy canned beans though.

You can cook meat in the microwave but I wouldn't. Pretty much any other
vegetables but beans can be cooked in there.

When I was down with my foot injury, I bought rice and pasta cookers for the
microwave. The ones I got only do 1-2 servings at a time. My daughter was
able to use them.

For eggs, just beat like you would for scrambled. Add any veggies or meats
that you want. The meats should be cooked first. Add salt, pepper, milk or
water and a little butter, margarine or oil. You don't need a lot of the
fat. Just enough to add richness and keep the eggs from sticking. You can
do these in any microwaveable bowl or even a glass measuring cup. Nuke at
30 second intervals, stirring until they are the way you like them. If you
want cheese, stir in after the eggs are cooked.

Just look for microwave recipes. And look for ones that list the carb
counts.