Posted to alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker W. Baker is offline

Default Best of both worlds.

Todd > wrote:
: On 10/01/2014 04:59 PM, W. Baker wrote:
: > Todd > wrote:
: > : On 10/01/2014 11:10 AM, Ian Field wrote:
: > : >
: > : >
: > : > "Todd" > wrote in message
: > : > ...
: > : >> On 09/30/2014 08:56 AM, Ian Field wrote:
: > : Hi Ian,
: >
: > : Metformin is nasty stuff. Makes your hair fall out, gives you
: > : (sometimes permanent) insomnia, skin spots, and worst of all,
: > : it makes you paranoid delusional. Yep everybody is picking
: > : on you! It also has a rebound effect. When I initially went
: > : drug free, each time I backed off on the dosage of Metformin,
: > : my blood sugar went down. I also had to do A LOT of apologizing
: > : to people I lashed out at. Fortunately, they all forgave me.
: >
: >
: >
: > I find this strange as I have been on Metformin now for some 17-18 years
: > with none of the effects you, tidd, have experienced. I will grant that
: > some peol ehave bad results with different drugs, but one's own personal
: > bad experience may well NOT be universal. If a drug causes problems for
: > you you you should no be taking it, but that does nt mean that other folk
: > should stop taking it if it works adn does not cause them your smptoms.
: >
: > Wendy

: Hi Wendy,
: The depression (crabbiness) and delusional paranoia creep up on you.

: You may not be aware of it. I certainly was not aware of it until
: I got off it. I truly though everyone was picking on me. When
: I got off it, oh boy, did I have a lot of apologizing to do.
: You have shown signs of the crabbiness to me in the past. The
: way you can figure it out is to ask someone close to you that you
: can trust to give you the unvarnished truth if you have become
: a crabass.

: People that can not longer sleep had it sneak up on them too.
: They have said in blogs they never recovered and were not
: able to sleep again.

: And don't forget the rebound effect. Met is an allopathic drug,
: meaning it is a controlled dosage of a poison meant to cause
: a desired reaction. This can save your life. But over the long run,
: your body will rebound to it. My blood sugar dropped each time
: I backed off on the stuff.

: You have been on Met for a long time and know how to cook
: low(er) carb. You may be healed by now and not need it. If
: you get off it to see, be careful when the "dark curtain" lifts.
: You might suddenly start enjoying things and people around you.

: :-)

: -T

I am not regarded as a crabby person and at 78 am active and happy, having
adjusted to the loss of my husban now 4 years ago. Healed I am not and I
was off the Met for a few weeks this summer when Ihad a stomach upset that
was not severe, but was prolonged. I was taken off pretty much al my Met
adn was also eating remarkably little, so little that I lost 15 lbs in a
few week(3-4) I am now back onthe Met and am tryign to maintain the
weight loss which was the first time since my big weigt oss of 30 years
ago, thata I have moved below the weight I attained then. So fa I am
fairly successful, bu , of couse, it requires daily weighing of me to not
let a small gain turn into a large one. Unfortuantley m appetite is back.

You, as poster, take quate a strong view adn express it strongly, making i
sound like you are the only one who has the right way. We all find
different ways to control our diabtese and enjoy sharing ideas jus like
recipes, but not being told that "I am the way adn you are stupid if you
don't follow me and are damned to diabetic failure if you don't accept my
views." You may not be aware of it, but this is how you come off. You
have found wht works for YOU adn many of us gave you all kinds of recipes
and cookign methods to get you to where you wanted to be. I am glad we
were able to help, but remeber, to disgree wit you in a polite way is not
crabbiness. I eat quite low car,or what I call moderate carb of 60-100
grams a day adn it works for me as it has for more than 30 years, the last
17 or so on Metformin. That is what we mean by YMMV or "your mileeage may
vary."

Wendy