Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Foodsaver on sale __Need adsvice

On 10/1/2014 11:36 AM, wrote:
> Here in SE Wisconsin a heavy winter hat is a necessity, especially last
> winter. We had one of the colest winters in about 25 years. It was a tough
> one. It would snow then start to defrost & then freeze. My driveway which is
> about 100 ft. long & uphill to the garage was a sheet of ice for days at a
> time. I did very little driving last winter. Did you ever consider
> catalogueing your freezer? I have 3 stand up Frostless freezers & I keep
> track of everything in them & my pantry: I even mark the location .
> Otherwise I would never find anything. Hope this helps. John
>

> Here's an example of my Pantry inventory:
>
> Fruit Jams, Jellies, Butters
> ===================
>
> Raspberries
>
> 07/06/14 1 2.5 lbs, Bag Fresh Raspberries #1 FR__1__SH_3
> 07/11/14 1 2.5 lbs, Bag Fresh Raspberries #2 FR__1__SH_3
> 07/13/14 1 2.5 lbs, Bag Fresh Raspberries #3 FR__1__SH_3
> ======================================
> Heirloom Beans (Canned)
>
> 08/07/14 7 Pint Jars Cranberry Green Beans Box__M
> 08/19/14 3 Pint Jars Cranberry Green Beans Box__F
>
> ==================
>
> 08/09/14 5 Pint Jars Sultan's Golden Crescent Beans Box__M
> 08/12/14 2 Pint Jars Sultan's Golden Crescent Beans Box__F
> 08/19/14 3 Pint Jars Sultan's Golden Crescent
> Beans Box__Beans_2014_A
>
> 08/26/14 1 Quart Jars Sultan's Golden Crescent Beans Box__G
> ======================================
> Brussel Sprouts__Fresh
>
> 11/08/13 1 Gal Bag Brussel Sprouts ( 1 Very Small, 2 Small Braise, 2 Large
> Braise) FR__1__SH_4_Left
>
> ======================================
> Tomatoes
>
> 09/03/12 5 Qt. Bag Tomatoes (Equal to 10-14.5 oz. Cans in
> Total) Freezer__1__Shelf_3__Left
>
> 09/05/12 1 Qt. Bag Rose Tomatoes (Equal to 2-14.5 oz. Cans in
> Total) Freezer__1__Shelf_3
>

> ======================================
> Bean Soups
>
> 07/13 3 Qt. Bags Cannellini Bean Soup with Swiss Chard #1 GE__Door
> 07/13 2 Qt. Bags Cannellini Bean Soup with Swiss Chard #2 GE__Door
> 08/13 3 Qt. Bags Cannellini Bean Soup with Swiss Chard #3 GE__Door
>
> 01/14 1 Qt. Bags Serbian White Bean Soup___A GE__Top_Shelf_Rear
> 01/14 1 Qt. Bags Serbian White Bean Soup___B_With Tomatoes & Butternut
> Squash GE__Top_Shelf_Rear
> 01/14 2 Qt. Bags Serbian White Bean Soup___C_With Tomatoes & Butternut
> Squash & Tomato Soup GE__Top_Shelf_Rear

I have most of the freezer food in plastic baskets, labeled on the front
as to contents, then each bag is dated and has the contents on it. I put
all that on the strip above the sealing area of vacuum bags.

The canning pantry is actually a two foot deep by six feet wide closet
that I put five extra shelves in. Jars are marked with date and contents
on the lid and like items are shelved together. That closet also has
most of our canning pots, empty jars, lids, etc. all on their own shelves.

In addition I keep a running inventory on the computer of the contents
of both freezers and the canning and other odds and sods pantry. Well,
mostly keep it up, sometimes I forget.

Miz Anne's little sister and her husband are coming to visit on Friday
and then going on to Corpus Christi to visit her husband's daughter and
her hubby who is a USN officer. Went to the supermarket this morning and
they were loading up the "used meat" bin. Since we're hosting our entire
family again on Sunday next I stocked up on cheap beef. Even found a
three lb bacon package that had been marked down by 75%, plus some
packages of sausage links. Going to cook a 4 lb eye of round roast,
grill some squash and eggplant and the sausages and will make a big mess
of potato salad and lots of beans. Feeding about eighteen people is a
chore for me anymore. Will start prepping on Saturday, that makes it
easier. Two parties in a week is a lot for me to do.

George