D.Currie

Default Freezing bread dough?

I've been baking a lot of bread lately, and what I've been doing is making a
batch for 2 loaves, baking one, and putting the other half in the fridge
after the first rise. Depending on when I bake the second loaf, I either
bake it as is (it rises enough in the fridge to bake) or if it's been there
a few days, I punch it down, re-shape, let it rise, and bake it. That's been
working out fine.

But now I'm thinking it would be ideal if I could lop off enough dough to
make 2-4 rolls, and freeze them for later use. That way, if I just wanted a
few rolls, I could take them out of the freezer and make them, without
mixing up a whole batch of dough. Or I could make a whole variety of buns (I
tend to make different types of bread each time) from whatever I have
frozen.

I know it's possible to freeze dough, since they sell frozen bread dough,
but do they use "normal" yeast, or is mine going to freeze to death? How
would I go about this for the best result? Freeze after I punch it down and
form it? Let it rise a bit first? Freeze it right after I make it?

And what about baking? Thaw, don't thaw?

Any suggestions?

--
Donna