Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Foodsaver on sale __Need adsvice

On 9/23/2014 10:21 AM, wrote:
> Ihanks for the tip Bigwheel. I checked out Tuesday Morning & they didn't
> have any but I did find some heavy winter caps for half price :-) John

Tuesday Morning, as near as I can tell, is a lot like Big Lots,
remaindered goods and goods from businesses that failed. They often have
good deals though, we visit them frequently.

A heavy winter cap in this part of Texas is a ball cap. I still have my
Navy wool cap from umpteen years ago for that rare cold snap. I hope
this winter isn't like last winter here, then we had rain, hail, sleet,
and snow, all on the same day. After a few North Atlantic cruises back
in the late fifties I swore off cold weather.

Not preserving anything today but did get the brand new 20.5 cubic foot
freezer loaded up this morning. The old 15 cf freezer is going to our
daughter and her older 11 cf freezer is going to her middle son.

Realized while cleaning out the old freezer that we have lots of vacuum
sealed packages of chard, cauliflower, green peas, kale, broccoli, and
chopped onions and peppers going back to 2012. I'm beginning to think
we're hoarders. Put all the old stuff up front in the new freezer and
will try to eat them up. Of course the 2013 and 2014 stuff is in there
too. The 2013 and 2014 stuff is from our new gardens, all 128 square
feet or raised beds. Also found lots of stuff in the canning pantry from
2012, mostly pickles, pickled cauliflower, sunchokes, things we don't
eat daily. Reckon we need to eat that too, most of our descendants don't
like those types of pickles.

Fall garden is slender this year, mesclun mix, spinach, radishes, a few
beets and carrots, one lone cucumber plant that is producing heavily,
and the sweet chiles, eggplant, and a few other things left over from
spring and summer. The very young kumquat tree is loaded with green
fruit about the size of a dime right now. I braced the limbs so they
wouldn't break. Might get enough to make a couple of pints of kumquat
marmalade. Dehydrated the last of the basil, a goodly batch of Russian
tarragon, and another batch of leaf celery yesterday.

George