Denise~*

Default Frosting

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 23:27:31 GMT, "rox"
> wrote:

>Hi. Novice frosting maker here, and I'd like to relate an experience and
>hear your theories. This was the first place I thought of coming to ask...
>
>I made some frosting the other night. The basic recipe was:
>
>1 tbsp butter
>1/3 c milk

I'd have to agree with Nexis, this is quite a bit of milk. I'd start
with 2-3 tablespoons & then add a 1 tablespoon until the consistency
is correct.

>2 oz baker's chocolate
>2 cups confectioner's sugar
>
>Melt butter and chocolate with milk, cool, add sugar, beat til thick enough
>to spread.
>
>Well, I didn't have baker's chocolate so I used a tablespoon of duch cocoa,

Same thing, pretty much.

Here's some interesting reading on cocoas
http://www.cafecreosote.com/dictiona...cocoa%20powder

>and I used 2 tablespoons of butter rather than one.

Yeah, you added in more moisture & the milk may have pushed it over
the edge.

>Instead of 2 cups confectioner's sugar, the frosting required 2 boxes to get
>thick. It ended up quite tasty with the addition of a little bit of
>peppermint extract, but do you think the slight changes I made caused it to
>require that much more confectioner's sugar, or was the recipe inaccurate?

Powdered sugar doesn't need much moisture to dissolve, although, I'd
use less milk & increase if you think you need more.

>Thanks for your perspective, and while we're at it, I'd love to know your
>favorite easy frosting recipe.
>
>Cheers.

Denise, Brian & Wyatt (May 31, 02)

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...
A true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
"Damn...that was fun!"