Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default things I learned recently

On Tue, 2 Sep 2014 06:30:14 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle
> wrote:

> 1. green beans are hard to cook right - there's a narrow tolerance for
> doneness

Thank you! That is one vegetable that I'd rather buy frozen because
when *I* cook them from fresh they are either so undercooked they
squeak on my teeth or they are overcooked and too mushy. I feel like
I rarely hit the stopped squeaking, but not mushy sweet spot.

> 2. don't salt ground beef for hamburgers - salt the patties on each side
> rightbefore cooking - that's all you need

Are you saying you season the meat and mix it in before forming the
patties? That's meatloaf, not hamburger patties.

> 3. it's easy to put too much garlic or salt in guacamole

Better yet, don't use them at all. Salt, maybe a pinch - but garlic?
Lime (or lemon) is a must.

> 4. there is definitely such a thing as too much rub

I've decided even a light rub of any kind that contains brown sugar
and powdered chile is too much because I hate that flavor profile.