Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Short Ribs In Red Wine Sauce - Further adventure in Induction

On Mon, 01 Sep 2014 19:19:57 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 2014-09-01 5:04 PM, sf wrote:
>
> >> Being close to Buffalo, it was hot wings that did the same for chicken
> >> wings around here. They were dirt cheap here before bars learned that
> >> wings were a cheap and easy way to sell lots more beer.
> >> My wife used to make amazing ox tail stew, but now we can get a nice
> >> steak for less and not have all the other work and expense to prepare.

> > Same with lamb shanks.
> >

> A package of three lamb shanks here now runs at least $14. There is a
> restaurant about 20 minutes from here that has lamb shanks on their menu
> at $16. It comes with garlic mashed and sauteed seasonal veggies. They
> are braised with a dark beer. We go there frequently and delude
> ourselves into thinking it is almost like doing them at home but without
> the work. But seriously, it would cost almost that much to buy enough
> shanks for two people, plus the broth and the wine or beer for braising,
> the vegetables that go into the braising dish, the potatoes, the
> vegetables. We end up paying someone just a few dollars to cook it,
> serve it and to clean up. When I crave lamb shanks I tend to go there
> instead of cooking them myself.

That's exactly what I do too. It's a restaurant dish. Kinda sad,
isn't it? Hubby loves short ribs when they've been cooked in red
wine, but they're so expensive now that the restaurant where he liked
them best stopped using short ribs a couple of years ago and switched
to chuck.

> The down side of those shanks is that I went there at least a half dozen
> times before I tried anything else on the menu. I kept meaning to try
> their other dishes, but I kept remembering how good the lamb shanks
> where. We were there a couple weeks ago with a friend I and I did not
> have the lamb. I opted for mahi mahi on quinoa , which was excellent.

I tend to go to certain restaurants for certain dishes too. I tell
myself I should branch out, but why bother when I already have a
winner?