Posted to alt.food.wine
santiago santiago is offline

Default Wine made with "powders"

Michael Nielsen > wrote in
:

> So in conclusion the crociani wine is special in not having been
> modified with adding powders such as acid and sugar.

We should ask the winemaker about that. Who knows.

> Pingus, chateau
> latour and rothshild, 1000$+ burgundies use powders?

I doubt Pingus, Chateau Latour and Lafite or Mouton use powders. They
probably use selection of the best lots to bottle under their Grand Vin and
declassify other lots. Or sell them in bulk.

Some time ago, it was not uncommon that wines were chaptalized almost every
vintage in Bordeaux and, for the record, this is still rather common
practice in Burgundy nowadays.

In Spain you do not find much chaptalization (sugar) but you find quite
some acidification. Different terroirs... different unbalances.