Posted to alt.food.wine
Michael Nielsen[_4_] Michael Nielsen[_4_] is offline

Default Wine made with "powders"

On Saturday, August 30, 2014 12:03:14 AM UTC+2, Michael Nielsen wrote:
> My FIL allowed me to open one of his special bottled to serve with when I made him his favourite osso buco. Crociani Vino Nobile di Montepulciano Riserva. He explained that it was special because it was hand made without the use of powders that people sadly use to adjust the flavours nowadays to make bad wine drinkable.
>

> I would have thought it was only "4 buck chuck" wines that were made that way and that anything that is natively 10$+ is "special" according to his definition (by natively I mean the winery reference price, not a crazy import-taxed price).
>

> I checked his special bottle and it is pretty cheap; 17euro in current vintages 2009.
>

> Anyone have insight how common it is to use "powders" to adjust bad taste?

No time to go into details of the responses atm but would like to clarify "powders":

- Not talking about the trekking wine powder
- Not talking biodynamic/organic.
- I have had organic wines in california without sulfites. they were horrible. Just fruit juice. Ive had organic wines that tasted just like normal wine, and they had sulfites haha. And some say that they are at the wineries even though they don't have certification.
- The Crociani has sulfites in it (thank godness!)

- It is the modifications of the taste profile in the must that was the topic. sugars, acids, etc. I would have thought that premium wines would display the true nature of the grapes as they were that vintage- no modification? But what I get from the replies is that it isnt so?