Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Crabapple time

On 8/29/2014 5:57 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
> I stopped by my favorite crabapple tree on the way home from work today.
> There are almost as many crabapple trees here as there are Canada
> geese, but AFAIK only one that has edible fruit. It's on the waste
> water treatment plant driveway. Crabapples all over the ground
> (apparently they ripened early this year) and smelling faintly of
> vinegar, and the tree is sagging from the weight of all the fruit. It
> rained today, and the apples still on the tree are starting to split.
>
> I filled up the 12-pack-of-beer-bottles box that I had with me in just a
> few minutes, crabapples falling on my head as I picked. I need to go
> back and spread a sheet on the ground as I pick so I can collect the
> freshly-fallen ones and leave the old ones.

A 12-pack, on the way home? <G> And here I thought you had died since we
haven't heard from you in a long time.

> I'll steam-juice these tonight, and make jelly tomorrow or Sunday. I
> don't eat much jelly at all, but my dad really likes it (these
> crabapples make jelly that looks and tastes just like mayhaw) so I can
> bring him a few pints next time I visit.
>
> Bob

Run over to Tomball with a couple of jars too, I can trade some dewberry
and/or blackberry jelly or jam. My father-in-law had four apple trees,
red and gold delicious, plus a large crab apple tree. The best he made
with both types was hooch, he distilled that stuff until it was smooth
and would knock you out.

I just wish I had enough property to grow a few more fruit trees. So far
we've got a few figs, some kumquats, and no pears as yet. None of the
above have given enough to make jams or jellies other than the odd half
pint jar. I don't know if I can stay alive long enough to get a goodly
amount of fruit out of our orchard. Picking and paying for berries and
fruit at the pick-your-own farms is an expensive proposition.

Good to hear from you Bob.

George