Posted to rec.food.preserving
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Crabapple time

I stopped by my favorite crabapple tree on the way home from work today.
There are almost as many crabapple trees here as there are Canada
geese, but AFAIK only one that has edible fruit. It's on the waste
water treatment plant driveway. Crabapples all over the ground
(apparently they ripened early this year) and smelling faintly of
vinegar, and the tree is sagging from the weight of all the fruit. It
rained today, and the apples still on the tree are starting to split.

I filled up the 12-pack-of-beer-bottles box that I had with me in just a
few minutes, crabapples falling on my head as I picked. I need to go
back and spread a sheet on the ground as I pick so I can collect the
freshly-fallen ones and leave the old ones.

I'll steam-juice these tonight, and make jelly tomorrow or Sunday. I
don't eat much jelly at all, but my dad really likes it (these
crabapples make jelly that looks and tastes just like mayhaw) so I can
bring him a few pints next time I visit.

Bob