rox

Default Frosting

Hi. Novice frosting maker here, and I'd like to relate an experience and
hear your theories. This was the first place I thought of coming to ask...

I made some frosting the other night. The basic recipe was:

1 tbsp butter
1/3 c milk
2 oz baker's chocolate
2 cups confectioner's sugar

Melt butter and chocolate with milk, cool, add sugar, beat til thick enough
to spread.

Well, I didn't have baker's chocolate so I used a tablespoon of duch cocoa,
and I used 2 tablespoons of butter rather than one.

Instead of 2 cups confectioner's sugar, the frosting required 2 boxes to get
thick. It ended up quite tasty with the addition of a little bit of
peppermint extract, but do you think the slight changes I made caused it to
require that much more confectioner's sugar, or was the recipe inaccurate?

Thanks for your perspective, and while we're at it, I'd love to know your
favorite easy frosting recipe.

Cheers.