Posted to rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_15_] dsi1[_15_] is offline

Default OT Hello, Susan?

On 8/21/2014 1:16 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> I have been getting these calls for a long time. The first time I got
> one, I was picking my daughter up at school so it was probably May or
> June. The call had come in while I was driving so I couldn't answer.
> When I played back the voice mail, it was from someone at AARP about a
> job that Susan had applied for. So I called the number back to tell
> them that they had the wrong number but there was no answer. I left a
> message.
>
> This same scenario played out several times. Couldn't answer.
> Voicemail. Left message.
>
> Finally I was able to get a live body when I called but each time, the
> woman on the phone sounded very confused. She said there were 10 people
> who worked there and she had no idea who had called.
>
> But finally, just now, the woman called and I was able to answer. It
> was AARP in Seattle. She sounded very astounded to hear that there was
> no Susan here. Asked me if I was sure and even read back my phone
> number to me.
>
> I hope that was the last of it. But AARP must be very desperate for a
> new employee if they have been calling over a 3-4 month time span to try
> to contact Susan!

That ain't nothing. I had somebody calling me for 10 years asking for a
Mark. I told them that the number they called was a fax line for a
business but they didn't ever believe me. After a while it became a
running joke. Boy, those guys were persistent! When I moved my office, I
realized that a fax line was not needed in a world where you could
attach a PDF to email.

These days I only have one line but now I don't even need a land line.
My guess is that a lot of small businesses are ditching their land lines
and using cells instead.