Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ema Nymton Ema Nymton is offline

Default "California drought stings bees, honey supplies"

On 8/21/2014 9:27 AM, wrote:

http://news.msn.com/us/california-dr...honey-supplies

> Last third of article:
>
> By TERENCE CHEA of Associated Press
>
> ...Many California beekeepers, including Gene Brandi's brother, are taking
> their hives to states such as North Dakota where they can forage in
> clover and buckwheat fields.
>
> The drought is hurting businesses such as Marshall's Farm Honey, which
> supplies raw honey to high-end restaurants, grocery stores and farmers
> markets in Northern California.
>
> The Napa Valley business is having trouble making and buying enough
> honey to meet the demands of its customers. Many varieties such as
> honey made from sage and star-thistle aren't available at all because
> it's too dry for their flowers to produce nectar.
>
> "They keep coming back wanting more, and it's very painful to have to
> say, 'We don't have it,'" said Helene Marshall, who runs the business
> with her husband Spencer. "There's increased demand because of
> increased awareness of how good it is for you, and there is less supply."
>
> Spencer Marshall, who maintains hives throughout the San Francisco
> Bay Area, said this is by far the worst year for honey production
> he's seen in five decades of beekeeping. When the drought ends, "the
> bees may come back, but the beekeepers may not," Marshall said.
>
> Amelia Barad-Humphries, who owns a restaurant and floral business
> in Napa Valley, said she's concerned about the drought's impact on
> bees and honey supplies. She said she eats a teaspoon of local honey
> every day to keep her allergies in check and she relies on bees to
> pollinate her backyard garden.
>
> "We need honeybees for everything," she said. "People should be
> paying attention."
>
> (end)
>

> Lenona.

Here is hoping that El Nino will help with the drought in California.
Texas has been in a drought since 2010, the drought is hopefully over in
the Houston area, but it still exists in San Antonio and South Texas. We
have a friend who depends on bees, his hives produce honey in San Antonio.

Becca