Brian Macke

Default semi-sweet chocolate - any differences?

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 22:26:53 +0000, Alex Rast wrote:

> Basically, unless you're dedicated to making your chocolate baking
> project the subject of your total focus the entire time you're doing it,
> the risk is large it's not going to be any better if you use quality
> chocolate. Hence my term "finest possible quality". I literally meant
> the best possible, in other words a level even above what quality
> professional bakers produce for sale.

I can understand your quest for optimal quality. However, in the job that
I do to pay for my kitchen obsession we have this thing called a
"cost-benefit analysis" for determing an idea's inherent worth. If you are
making truffles, the cost-benefit ratio is high for using quality
ingredients. Brownies, which for some people is something made from a box,
the cost-benefit for using high quality chocolate is rather low. If the
brownies taste 2% better because you're using Guittard, then the 200%
difference in price is not worth it.

I understand your point about optimal quality - please don't feed the urge
to try and explain it again. I just think that there's better uses for
high quality chocolate than throwing them into brownies.

--
-Brian James Macke
"In order to get that which you wish for, you must first get that which