Posted to rec.food.cooking
notbob notbob is offline

Default Carnitas

On 2014-08-17, Travis McGee > wrote:

> soft then add more water and simmer some more. Then, fry the meat in the
> residual fat until crispy and brown, adding more fat if necessary.

Lotsa ways to make carnitas. I have an oven and a good dutch oven, so
choose not to resort to going "native" and cooking over a wood fire,
copper pot, etc. I suspect good Mexico City restos also do not resort
to open fires in search of authenticity. My recipe for carnitas turns
out a dish that is exactly like the carnitas I could buy every
Fri from my neighborhood carnicerķa, which would sell out by Fri
evening.

> I have done this, but I usually add garlic, onion, and a few spices.
> It's good, and of course it benefits from a nice sauce, added after cooking.

Why add after cooking? A sauce made with the pork roast includes the
pork drippings/juices from the roast and wastes nada. Adding the
herbs/spices/veggies while cooking only enhances the sauce. As for
"crispy and brown", I get some browning during the roasting process,
depending on basting frequency, so finished dish includes both crisped
and soft pork pieces.

I've seen carnitas that are crisped in fat. I've also seen the same
carnitas turn to dry fire-starter shavings after being held too long
in a bain marie. My recipe will survive warming lamps, though I
prefer to put 'em in a tupperware kinda container and refrigerate.

nb