Posted to rec.food.cooking
Don Martinich Don Martinich is offline

Default Carnitas

I've noticed that when carnitas is discussed in this newsgroup that
there is much mention of rather elaborate marinades and roasting. My
introduction to carnitas, cooked by a family from Jalisco, had the meat,
pork shoulder, cooked in a big pot of melted pork fat. The only added
ingredient was a cola drink which is supposed to help brown the meat.
And I was told that some families use orange juice instead of cola. This
was done at large outdoor parties during the day. Cooking was done in a
large copper pot over a wood fire. The done meat was chopped and served
in corn tortillas with home made salsa fresca. Definitely the best
carnitas tacos that I've ever had.

D.M.