Posted to rec.food.cooking
dalep dalep is offline

Default Carnitas

On Friday, August 15, 2014 7:55:26 AM UTC-6, notbob wrote:
> Jes made a HUGE batch. Overwhelmed my "big orange"[1]. I'll have
>
> more than enough to give to neighbors and friends and still enough
>
> left over to become sick to death of it. So much, in fact, it's the
>
> first time I ever hadda mix up more sauce to finish it, as the
>
> original sauce ingredients were not enough for such a large pork roast
>
> (8lbs!). Perhaps my method was a bit unconventional, but the results
>
> rock.
>

> Unfortunately, I forgot to buy tortillas, yesterday, and gotta go back
>
> to the store. A sixer of cerveza couldn't hurt, also.
>

> ----
>

> notbob's Carnitas
>

> One pork roast
>
> oranges (or OJ)
>
> limes
>
> lemons
>
> New Mexico ground chile powder (hot)
>
> serrano chiles
>
> jalapeno chiles
>
> chicken stock
>
> garlic
>
> onions
>
> cumin
>
> oregano
>

> Put it all in yer "big orange" and bake in oven at 350F until it falls
>
> apart. If the liquids have completely evaporated, add more. When
>
> pork pulls apart (pull-pork!), put on stove-top and gently simmer
>
> remaining sauce until thickens to a paste (or almost), as long as you
>
> get full coverage of all the pulled apart pork pieces.
>

> ----
>

> I'll let you folks decide the portions for above. After all, you all
>
> claim to be cooks. Besides, even I miscalculated the amts and hadda
>
> add more. Jes start with enough liquids to cover roast half way. I
>
> start with about half and half, OJ to chkn stk, plus juice of couple
>
> limes and couple lemons. The amt of dried chile pwdr is yer own. I
>
> like mine quite spicy.
>

> [1] In this case, my big ol' orange Le Creuset French Oven, like on
>
> all the cooking shows (purchased for 60% off at going-out-of-biz
>
> sale). Any large dutch overn or oven safe pot, with lid, will do.
>

> enjoy =D
>
> nb

OH YUM!! We had a restaurant years ago that only served carnitas on Thursdays. They marinated it for 12 hrs and slow roasted for 12 hrs. It was fall apart tender and soooo good. They still have it on the menu, but everyday now and it is not as good. I have only made my own a couple of times and it was only OK. I like mine with pico de gallo and corn tortillas.

I will just eat my Friday night piece of cod and a side of brussel sprouts.

DaleP