Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Faux tetrazzini

On Thu, 7 Aug 2014 14:24:20 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> > On Thu, 7 Aug 2014 02:19:25 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >>I would love to make this but since I can't have dairy, it will have to be
> >>an approximation. I have some stuff that I am trying to use up including
> >>whole wheat linguine and boxed mushroom gravy. I will add some onion,
> >>probably a little celery, a few fresh mushrooms, turkey breast, peas and
> >>some black pepper and parsley. If it seems too dry, I have some boxed
> >>turkey broth to add.
> >>
> >>I hope it is good. I miss stuff like tetrazzini, A La King and chicken or
> >>tuna casserole. Alas I can't have chicken or tuna so it will have to be
> >>turkey. Will probably attempt to do this on top of the stove as I don't
> >>want to fire up the oven. I had to self clean it yet again after last
> >>night's baking. Not sure what slopped over the sides but it was kind of
> >>buttery and sticky enough that trying to wipe it with a wet paper towel
> >>didn't do much at all.

> > I prepare tetrazzini often and rarely does it contain dairy, just a
> > basic flour/veg oil/water bechamel (white sauce).

> White sauce has milk or cream in it. And tetrazzini often has cheese as
> well.

It sounds like he's making oily paste. A velouté would have stock in
it, you'd use vegetable stock because you can't eat chicken. I'd just
forget about making Tetrazzini if I had to make as many changes as you
have to make because the result is not even close to Tetrazzini.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.