Posted to rec.food.cooking
Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds is offline

Default Faux tetrazzini

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Thu, 7 Aug 2014 02:19:25 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> I would love to make this but since I can't have dairy, it will have to
> >> be
> >> an approximation. I have some stuff that I am trying to use up including
> >> whole wheat linguine and boxed mushroom gravy. I will add some onion,
> >> probably a little celery, a few fresh mushrooms, turkey breast, peas and
> >> some black pepper and parsley. If it seems too dry, I have some boxed
> >> turkey broth to add.
> >>
> >> I hope it is good. I miss stuff like tetrazzini,

> > Why can't you make it using a nondairy creamer for the white sauce?
> > It wouldn't be Tetrazzini to me without lots of parmesan cheese, so I
> > guess that's what nutritional yeast is for when you can't eat dairy.

> Because nondairy creamer contains dairy! Why it has that name is beyond me.
> I have used nutritional yeast for some things. Not enough that I want to
> keep it in the house and it is hard to find that doesn't contain dairy. I
> don't think I would like the flavor of it in this.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-Dairy_Creamer

Alternatives
If you¹d rather skip the chemicals, fats and beaver booty, but still
crave a little creaminess in your java, you might want to consider one
of these (relatively) healthier options.
Almond Milk*
A good choice for the lactose intolerant, almond milk comes in a variety
of flavors. Typically supplemented, it is a good source of vitamins A,
B-12 and D as well as potassium, phosphorus and zinc.*
Coconut Milk*
Delicious and healthful:
More than half of the fats from coconuts are known as medium-chain
triglycerides (MCTs) * a type of fat that is more likely to be burned
off as fuel, rather than stored on the body.*
Cream and Whole Milk
For those not afflicted with lactose intolerance, smaller amounts of
these high-fat foods can produce health benefits:
Dairy fats contain bio-active components including CLA (Conjugated
linoleic acid) and Omega-3 fatty acids that counter balance saturated
fats.
In addition, whole milk has lots of protein and calcium, as well as
vitamin D and potassium.* Further, recent studies are showing that,
contrary to what was once thought, ³consumption of whole-fat dairy is
linked to reduced body fat.³
Hemp Milk*
Imparting no additional buzz to your morning cup of Joe, hemp milk is
also a viable alternative for the lactose intolerant. A cup of Hemp
Bliss original flavor provides 20% of the RDA of iron and 5 grams of
protein, with only 7 grams of fat.
Soy Milk
Although recent research has raised some concern about ingesting too
much soy, it remains a good source of vitamin A and calcium, and one cup
provides six grams of protein and only 4 grams of fat.

http://sodeliciousdairyfree.com/reci...oni-and-cheese

seems to me that if you can make mac and cheese with milk alternatives,
you can make tetrazzini