seb

Default Small Oak Barrels - opinions

> > They sell very small barrels (1, 3, 5, 10, & 20 Liters) at very
> > reasonable prices. These seem like an attractive way for the home
> > winemaker to try barrel aging, without the expense or storage
> > difficulties of a traditional large barrel. And if it doesn't work
> > out, the investment is not too painful.

I don't think it worth the investment. A small barrel like 20 Liters
and smaller will impart lot's of oak in small amount of time. It mean
that you will not be able to let your wine really age in the barrel,
only a short immersion ( except of course when the barrel will be
older ). Thus, you will not get all the benefit of barrel aging like
micro-oxygenation. You are better either buy a larger barrel like 55
liter and bigger or buy good quality oak bean or staves like
www.stavin.com

Séb