Reg

Default "Deli-Cured Brisket"????

porkbeaks wrote:

> In the "Smoke & Spice" cookbook, there's a recipe for "Deli-Cured
> Brisket" in which you marinate (overnight) a 4# flat in a brine
> including salt, brown sugar, and pickling spices. The rub includes black
> pepper, salt, garlic powder, cracked coriander seed, and cracked mustard
> seed. Cook at 220º for 3 hours, wrap in foil, and cook for another 2
> hours or until done.
> Has anyone ever tried this? Would I end up with anything close to
> pastrami? Should I marinate longer? pb

You're describing a pretty conventional pastrami recipe. The difference
is that the curing time is very short. Whether you like that or not is
a matter of taste.

I cure mine longer, about 7 days. I take it out and rinse it, then soak it
in cool water for about an hour to remove some of the salt from the surface.
I rub it with a spice mix, wrap it and fridge it overnight, then smoke it to
185-190 F internal.

Be careful of Smoke and Spice, BTW. It contains some very inaccurate
time/temp information.