Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ema Nymton Ema Nymton is offline

Default Bean burrito additions?

On 7/30/2014 4:01 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:

> I am a cheese lover. Must have been a mouse in a prior life. I do not
> like yellow cheese. It's not the flavor, it's that the color just seems
> too weird. I never saw orange milk so how could they get orange cheese?
> Has to be something not natural to cheese.
>
> I can always find good quality white cheddar if I'm craving cheddar.
> Now blue cheese, that's a cheese of a different color. :-)

Here is what slate.com says about yellow cheese:

"After a cow chews the cud, beta-carotene dissolves into the animal’s
fat stores and ends up in fat globules in its milk. However, protein
clusters and the membranes that surround fat globules in milk conceal
the pigment’s color, reflecting light in a way that makes milk appear
white and opaque. But during the cheesemaking process, the pigment is
released: After bacterial culture and rennet have been added to milk and
the coagulated mixture is cooked, the fat membranes dissolve and the
protein clusters loosen so they can’t reflect light anymore. The beta
carotene is made visible, and it also becomes more concentrated, since
the the lean liquid component of the milk, called whey, is drained off.
It follows that the fattiest cheeses, and those from cows grazed on open
pasture, tend to have the deepest natural color."

I am also a cheese lover.

Becca