Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bean burrito additions?

"KenK" > wrote in message
>I try to eat a lot of fiber and bean burritos are one way. I've been making
> them for years with hot refried beans and Velveeta. Finally got tired of
> that. Lately tried chicken breast with and without cheese. Tried sharp
> cheddar. Not great. Any suggestions? Salsa? Taco sauce? Ideally something
> common that I likely already have.
>
> As you can tell, I'm not very adventurous on my own.
>
> Tried Google but didn't see anthing - probably wrong search phrase.
>
> TIA

I don't put cheese in mine but if I did, I would for sure use a Mexican
cheese. Gotta have some chopped onions and a really good taco sauce inside.

I also love them smothered with more taco sauce or enchilada sauce or even
salsa or tomato sauce if I have nothing else. More chopped onion. Or
slices of white onion and green pepper. Cilantro. Chopped tomatoes if not
using salsa. And if you use cheese, put cheese on top.

You could also try whole pinto beans. One of my favorites is served
smothered but has nothing inside of it but the beans. Shredded lettuce on
the side is good too as are black olives.

If you can't find Mexican cheese where you are at, use Monterrey Jack.