Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Jars at a decent price

On 7/22/2014 5:46 PM, gloria p wrote:

> If you have preserved for any length of time, you know the price of
> jars. lids.pectin, etc. has kept climbing to ridiculous heights.
>
> Our local Costco yesterday had many cases of Ball pint and quart jars,
> pints $5.99 and quarts $6.99. Not great but much cheaper than any
> other source here (Denver area.)
>
> gloria p

Pints are averaging about $8.00 a case around here, some at 9 bucks. I
generally don't need many quarts so haven't priced them. I got a good
deal on Amazon last year for four cases of pints so went for it, so far
haven't even cracked a case yet.

After the spring/summer season most of the stores here cut pints back to
about seven bucks a case. I buy my lids on line, 350 in a tube for
standard mouth. So far still have over 200 in the tube.

I hit a church sale in a rural community not far from here the other day
and snagged a bunch of half pints and some 10 ounce jars, all standard
Mason jars and some of the little round half pints. Got them for ten
cents each. Last time I did that was in Louisiana and I got over 200
assorted jars for ten cents each. Tossed the mayo jars in the recycling
bin and kept the good ones. Wrote it all off for charity. <G>

Unfortunately the community we live in now is not much into doing home
anything. I see the Chinese and pizza joint cars going by every night.
We have at least six Mexican restaurants, four Chinese, and every fast
food name in the US within a mile of us. No wonder these people are
always broke.

George, who put up twelve bags of chopped sweet chiles today