Vino

Default Corks, once more ...

On 8 Aug 2004 20:18:24 GMT, Michael Pronay > wrote:

>"Max Hauser" > wrote:
>
>> One restaurateur, addressing TCA defensively, argued that
>> detection by very sensitive noses is a poor criterion for
>> rejecing a bottle that many diners will find acceptable. I
>> think that's an important question and could use more
>> discussion.

>This opinion is totally unjustified, imnsho, for the simple
>reason, that less-than obvious cork taints (without TCA smell)
>show two well-documented phenomenons: "Fruit scalping" and "random
>oxidation". There is enough research done by the AWRI (Australian
>Wine Research Institute). Just because one cannot smell TCA does
>*not* mean the wine isn't tainted.

I second Michael's comments. It has become second nature to me to give
a quick sniff to a newly opened bottle of wine. I don't consider the
absence of the distinct TCA smell as proof that the wine is _not_
corked. OTH, the clear presence of the smell is, to me anyway,
sufficient proof that that it _is_ corked and I don't bother to go any
further.

Sometimes I think I detect a whiff of TCA right after the bottle is
opened but then can't detect it a few seconds later. Pouring a little
wine into a glass, swirling it, and smelling it again may bring out a
clear TCA odor. Sometimes there is still uncertainty. When this
happens, I will, if possible, solicit the opinions of others, which
sometimes vary.

The next step is to open another bottle of the same wine (if I have
one) and compare the two. Often the fruit aroma of the second one is
clearly superior to the first one, which is proof to me that the first
bottle has some kind of fault. Probably corked, but possibly due to
something else. If I don't have a second bottle (or maybe decide not
to open it if I do) and go ahead and start to consume the first
bottle, I will often get part-way through it and decide that there is
just not anything there. If it's a wine that I'm familiar with and
know that _something_ should be there, I will conclude that the wine
is probably corked even though I never detected TCA. If it's a wine
that I've never had before, I will consider the possibility that it is
just a lousy wine and decide never to buy it (or anything from that
winery) again. This is the kind of consumer reaction that gives
wineries nightmares.

Vino
To reply, add "x" between
letters and numbers of