Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default OT Fireworks

On 7/6/2014 11:56 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>
>> Dueling Banjos is a fine piece of music if you like that sort of thing.
>> Here's a clip from the movie (hope you can see it):
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tqxzWdKKu8
>>
>> The boy playing the banjo was born with Downs Syndrome. The impression
>> given in the movie is everyone who lives in the backwoods are inbred.

> Man! That kid might have problems but he sure can play that thing!!! Very
> touching, thanks. Teaches us not to generalise eh? <g> Even about the
> Brits)

Yep, he sure could play that banjo! The movie itself expounded
stereotype after stereotype. Now, I'm not saying I've lived among
really backwoods hillbilly types. I didn't.

I remember Mom and I visiting my aunt & uncle in 1980 in a very small
town called Mount Jackson, Pennsylvania. My cousin asked if we had
paved roads in Memphis, Tennessee. That had to be the silliest question
I've ever heard. Gee, yeah. We even have indoor plumbing! LOL

The place where he lived had a general store/gas station and a beauty
parlor. A volunteer fire department. That was about it. Two lane
roads, all the way. If you wanted to do anything you had to drive to
Pittsburgh. Mount Jackson had a population of maybe 1000 people at the
time. Memphis had a population of nearly a million people. The
question was definitely based on stereotypes of things he'd seen on TV.

Don't tell me the Royal Family isn't inbred?! <teasing> That seems to
be the prevailing stereotype.

Jill